Lemon Balm Seed
A lovely lemon-scented herb.
- Easy to grow.
- Pretty yellow clusters of flower.
Supplied as a packet of approximately 250 seeds.
This Product is Available Now.
London Dispensary said in 1696 that ‘Balm given every morning, will renew youth, strengthen the brain and relieve languishing nature.’
Strong, square stems, and leaves with a lovely lemon smell.
Believed to help slow down and possibly relieve the onset of Alzheimer disease; five leaves in hot water is claimed to be a memory restorative. Also eases the pain of gout. Gives a sense of well-being for those suffering from stress.
- Hardy perennial.
- Prefers light shade.
- Likes any moist fertile soil.
- Grows to 12″ – 32″ (30 – 80 cm) tall.
- Yellow flowers that grow in clusters.
- Sow in spring, is slow to germinate.
- Thin plants to 2 feet (60 cm) apart.
- We recommend you grow in a pot as it is an invasive herb.
- Cut plants back once they have flowered.
- Culinary Uses.
- Chop into white sauces to accompany fish.
- Can be added to fruit salads, jellies or fruit drinks.
- Infuse leaves for melissa tea or float in Indian tea.
- A good complement to Tarragon.
- Lemon balm is the main ingredient in Chartreuse!
- Medicinal Uses.
- Fresh leaves can help with insect bites or sores.
- Can be made into tea to relieve chronic bronchial catarrh, feverish colds and headaches.
- Can be use to calm and uplift tensions.
- Said to be effective for an over active thyroid.
- Said to be effective for insomnia and unsettling dreams.
- Can ease morning sickness and be useful during menopause for relieving hot flushes.
- Can ease gout.
- Can help prevent cold sores.
- Other Uses.
- Often used in invalid posies.
- Bees love it – so works well if planted around beehives!
- Can be use as a rinse for greasy hair!
- Used in pot pourri or herb pillows.
As with all alternative medicines and plants with purported medicinal benefits it is important to inform your health care providers that you are using them; this helps to ensure safe and coordinated care. We can accept no liability for any side effect or contingency from any allergy or any other cause or harm that may arise. If in doubt please do consult a medical practitioner before using.