These are the marijuana stocks with the best value, fastest growth, and best performance for September 2022. The rampant growth of the cannabis industry has sparked investor interest in CBD oil stocks. Consider investing in these stocks to grow your portfolio organically.
Top Marijuana Stocks for September 2022
CL.CX, SNDL, and VRNO.CX are top for value, growth, and performance
Nathan Reiff has been writing expert articles and news about financial topics such as investing and trading, cryptocurrency, ETFs, and alternative investments on Investopedia since 2016.
The marijuana industry is made up of companies that either support or are engaged in the research, development, distribution, and sale of medical and recreational marijuana. Cannabis has begun to gain wider acceptance and has been legalized in a growing number of nations, states, and other jurisdictions for recreational, medicinal, and other uses. Some of the biggest companies in the marijuana industry include Canopy Growth Corp., Cronos Group Inc., and Tilray Inc. Many big marijuana companies have continued to post sizable net losses as they focus on investments needed to speed up revenue growth. 37 U.S. states now permit the use of marijuana in some form.
Marijuana stocks, as represented by the ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF (MJ), have vastly underperformed the broader market. MJ has provided a total return of -63.6% over the past 12 months, well below the Russell 1000 Index’s total return of -8.2%. These market performance numbers and all statistics in the tables below are as of Aug. 24, 2022.
Here are the top five marijuana stocks with the best value, the fastest growth, and the best performance.
Best Value Marijuana Stocks
These are the marijuana stocks with the lowest 12-month trailing price-to-sales (P/S) ratio. For companies in the early stages of development or industries suffering from major shocks, this can be substituted as a rough measure of a business’s value. A business with higher sales could eventually produce more profit when it achieves (or returns to) profitability. The P/S ratio shows how much you’re paying for the stock for each dollar of sales generated.
|Best Value Marijuana Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing P/S Ratio|
|Cresco Labs Inc. (CL.CX)||CA$4.92||CA$1.5||1.3|
|Jushi Holdings Inc. (JUSH.CX)||CA$2.29||CA$0.4||1.6|
|Aurora Cannabis Inc. (ACB)||1.57||0.5||1.8|
|TerrAscend Corp. (TER.CX)||CA$2.32||CA$0.6||1.9|
|Trulieve Cannabis Corp. (TRUL.CX)||CA$17.47||CA$3.2||2.1|
- Cresco Labs Inc.: Cresco Labs is a cannabis products company involved in growing, manufacturing, and distribution. The company operates in 10 states, including more than 70 total production facilities and dispensaries. Its brands include Cresco, Remedi, High Supply, Wonder Wellness Co., Mindy’s, Good News, Sunnyside, and FloraCal Farms. Cresco Labs’ stock also trades OTC in the U.S. under the ticker CRLBF. On July 15, Cresco reported that Columbia Care Inc., a cultivator and maker of cannabis products, had obtained the final order from the Supreme Court of British Columbia approving its business combination with Cresco Labs. Per the agreement, Cresco will acquire all outstanding shares of Columbia Care. The combination is expected to close in Q4 2022. At the time of the announcement, it was estimated that Cresco Labs is paying $2 billion for Columbia Care.
- Jushi Holdings Inc.: Jushi Holdings is a holding company focused on branded cannabis and hemp-based assets. The company is engaged in retail, distribution, cultivation, and processing operations. Its brands include: The Bank, focused on plant genetics and cultivation; The Lab, specializing in vape products and concentrates; Nira+, a producer of medicinal THC products; Sèche, which offers various branded ground and flower cannabis products; and Tasteology, a provider of THC-infused products. Jushi also trades OTC in the U.S. under the ticker JUSHF. Jushi announced in late August that its fourth medical cannabis dispensary in Virginia would open on Aug. 31. This is the company’s 35th retail outlet nationwide.
- Aurora Cannabis Inc.: Aurora Cannabis is a Canada-based company specializing in the production, distribution, and sale of medical cannabis products. Its brands include Aurora, Aurora Drift, Daily Special, MedReleaf, Whistler, and more. The company’s growth strategy targets medical cannabis markets across the globe as well as the U.S. hemp-derived CBD market and the Canadian recreational market. On Aug. 25, Aurora announced that it had acquired a controlling interest in Bevo AgTech Inc., a vegetable and ornamental plant company, through a subsidiary. Bevo operates 63 acres of greenhouses in Canada. Total consideration at the time of closing was roughly $45 million, with an additional payment of up to $12 million payable for up to three years following the acquisition depending on Bevo’s achieving various financial milestones.
- TerrAscend Corp.: TerrAscend is a Canada-based vertically integrated cannabis company with operations in Canada and the U.S. The company’s brands and business lines include Gage Cannabis, The Apothecarium, Ilera Healthcare, Kind Tree, Prism, State Flower, and Valhalla Confections. TerrAscend also trades OTC in U.S. markets under the ticker TRSSF. On Aug. 24, TerrAscend announced the closing of its acquisition of Michigan-based dispensary operator KISA Enterprises MI, LLC and related real estate assets. TerrAscend paid total consideration of $28.5 million for KISA. The acquisition includes six dispensary licenses.
- Trulieve Cannabis Corp.: Trulieve is a vertically integrated cannabis company with operations in eight states. The company’s brands include Cultivar Collection, Muse, Sweet Talk, and Momenta. Trulieve shares trade OTC under the ticker TCNNF. On Aug. 10, Trulieve reported earnings for Q2 2022. The company posted a net loss of $22.5 million compared with net income for the prior-year quarter as well as a 49% increase in revenue year over year (YOY). Net income was negatively impacted by charges associated with the acquisition of Harvest as well as other factors.
Fastest Growing Marijuana Stocks
These are the marijuana stocks with the highest YOY sales growth for the most recent quarter. Rising sales can help investors identify companies that are able to grow revenue organically or through other means and find growing companies that have not yet reached profitability. In addition, accounting factors that may not reflect the overall strength of the business can significantly influence earnings per share (EPS). However, sales growth can also be potentially misleading about the strength of a business because growing sales for money-losing businesses can be harmful if the companies have no plan to reach profitability.
|Fastest Growing Marijuana Stocks|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||Revenue Growth (%)|
|SNDL Inc. (SNDL)||2.78||0.7||2,250|
|OrganiGram Holdings Inc. (OGI)||1.09||0.3||82.8|
|Trulieve Cannabis Corp. (TRUL.CX)||CA$17.47||CA$3.2||54.6|
|Jushi Holdings Inc. (JUSH.CX)||CA$2.29||CA$0.4||48.6|
|Cronos Group Inc. (CRON)||3.10||1.2||47.6|
- SNDL Inc.: SNDL is a Canada-based cannabis producer. The company operates cultivation and processing facilities, retail stores, and also sells alcoholic beverages. Its cannabis brands include Sundial, Top Leaf, Palmetto, and Grasslands. At its annual and special shareholder meeting in late July, the company officially changed its name from Sundial Growers Inc. to SNDL Inc. It also implemented a share consolidation under which 10 pre-consolidation common shares were consolidated into one post-consolidation common share, effective July 25. The company announced on Aug. 22 that it would acquire cannabis product manufacturer The Valens Company Inc. (VLNS) for total consideration of about $138 million. The deal is expected to close in Jan. 2023.
- OrganiGram Holdings Inc.: Organigram Holdings is a Canada-based producer of medical and recreational cannabis. Its subsidiaries include Organigram Inc., Laurentian Organic Inc., and The Edibles and Infusions Corp., and its brands include Edison Cannabis Co., SHRED, and monjour, among others.
- Trulieve Cannabis Corp.: See above for company description.
- Jushi Holdings Inc.: See above for company description. Note that Jushi Holdings reported Q2 2022 earnings results for Q2 2022 on Aug. 29, 2022. Jushi’s ranking in the table above is based on its Q1 2022 earnings report.
- Cronos Group Inc.: Cronos Group is a Canada-based cannabis company. Its brand portfolio includes Spinach, Happy Dance, and PEACE+. Cronos reported Q2 2022 earnings results on Aug. 9. Its net loss narrowed significantly YOY as consolidated net revenue rose. Revenue was driven in particular by Israel net revenue, which more than tripled YOY.
Marijuana Stocks With the Best Performance
These are the marijuana stocks that had the smallest declines in total return over the past 12 months out of the companies we looked at.
|Marijuana Stocks With the Best Performance|
|Price ($)||Market Cap ($B)||12-Month Trailing Total Return (%)|
|Verano Holdings Corp. (VRNO.CX)||CA$8.40||CA$2.7||-44.2|
|4Front Ventures Corp. (FFNT.CX)||CA$0.69||CA$0.4||-47.5|
|Trulieve Cannabis Corp. (TRUL.CX)||CA$17.47||CA$3.2||-49.3|
|Cronos Group Inc. (CRON)||3.10||1.2||-53.0|
|Green Thumb Industries Inc. (GTII.CX)||CA$16.23||CA$3.8||-57.1|
|ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF (MJ)||N/A||N/A||-63.6|
- Verano Holdings Corp.: Verano Holdings is a vertically integrated, multi-state cannabis operator. The company produces a wide range of medical and adult-use cannabis products. It owns and operates 13 cultivation and manufacturing facilities and owns over 100 dispensaries in a number of states throughout the U.S. The company’s stock also trades OTC in the U.S. under the ticker VRNOF. On Aug. 19, Verano announced the opening of its 111th dispensary nationwide and its fourth location in Clarksburg, W.Va.
- 4Front Ventures Corp.: 4Front Ventures is a cannabis operator and retailer. It owns, operates, or manages cultivation and manufacturing properties in five states and employs over 600. Its stores attracted more than 1 million unique customers in 2021. 4Front also trades OTC under the symbol FFNTF. On Aug. 15, 4Front reported Q2 2022 earnings results. Its net loss widened slightly YOY as total revenues climbed. The company its operations in Massachusetts and California posted strong performance during the quarter.
- Trulieve Cannabis Corp.: See above for company description.
- Cronos Group Inc.: See above for company description.
- Green Thumb Industries Inc.: Green Thumb Industries is a cannabis retailer and consumer packaged products company. It markets products under brand names including Beboe, Dogwalkers, Doctor Solomon’s, Good Green, incredibles, and RYTHM. It has 77 open retail locations across 15 U.S. markets. Green Thumb stock also trades OTC under the ticker GTBIF.
Trends to Watch in Marijuana Stocks
Marijuana stocks have given investors a wild ride over the past few years, staging eye-watering rallies and substantial declines. Those who invest in this emerging sector should monitor these key trends as they will likely guide price direction in months and years ahead.
Financing: Most U.S. financial institutions avoid offering to fund cannabis companies as marijuana is still federally illegal, meaning lenders that provide loans could face possible prosecution. However, the Secure and Fair Enforcement Banking Act (SAFE)—which passed through the House in 2021—aims to address this by preventing the federal government from penalizing banks that offer financial services to the cannabis industry. Although the legislation has failed to gain support in the Senate, investors should monitor any amendments to the bill that could increase the chances of it gaining congressional approval.
Increasing Merger and Acquisition Activity: As of last year’s fourth quarter, $8.5 billion worth of merger and acquisition (M&A) transactions had closed in the sector, significantly higher than the $3 billion worth of deals in 2020 and $3.6 billion in 2019. Increasing dealmaking in the cannabis space indicates that institutional investors have growing confidence in the industry’s future.
Potential U.S. Legalization: While several cannabis legalization bills grace the halls of Congress, bipartisan support remains difficult to achieve, creating a large amount of uncertainty for industry participants. However, several leading Canadian operators, such as Cronos and Tilray, are banking on the U.S. cannabis market, with both companies entering into acquisition deals subject to its decriminalization south of the border.
Advantages of Marijuana Stocks
Despite the underwhelming performance of marijuana stocks over the past year amid an uncertain regulatory environment, the sector offers risk-taking investors significant growth potential. According to industry analysis firm MJBizDaily, U.S. cannabis sales will surpass $33 billion in 2022 before reaching $52 billion by the end of 2026. Moreover, the global cannabis market is expected to reach nearly $200 billion by 2028, up from $28 billion in 2021.
The comments, opinions, and analyses expressed herein are for informational purposes only and should not be considered individual investment advice or recommendations to invest in any security or to adopt any investment strategy. Though we believe the information provided herein is reliable, we do not warrant its accuracy or completeness. The views and strategies described in our content may not be suitable for all investors. Because market and economic conditions are subject to rapid change, all comments, opinions, and analyses contained within our content are rendered as of the date of the posting and may change without notice. The material is not intended as a complete analysis of every material fact regarding any country, region, market, industry, investment, or strategy.
Best CBD Oil Stocks
Altria comprises Philip Morris USA, U.S. Smokeless Tobacco, John Middleton, Helix Innovations, and Philip Morris Capital, although the company plans to wind down Philip Morris Capital by the end of 2022. It holds a 10% interest in the world’s largest brewer, Anheuser-Busch InBev. Through its tobacco subsidiaries, Altria holds the leading position in cigarettes and smokeless tobacco in the United States and the number-two spot in machine-made cigars. The company’s Marlboro brand is the leading cigarette brand in the U.S. with a 43% share in 2020. Altria holds strategic investments in JUUL Labs (35% economic interest) and Cronos (42%). They are considered a leader in the cannabis and tobacco industry.
|Day Range 44.5 – 45.89||52 Wk Range 41 – 57.05||Open / Close 45.2 / 44.57|
|Vol / Avg. 12M / 10.6M||Mkt Cap 80.3B||P/E 45.48|
|Div / Yield 3.76/8.44%||Payout Ratio 367.35||Total Float –|
Jazz Pharmaceuticals ( XNAS: JAZZ )
Jazz Pharmaceuticals is an Ireland-domiciled biopharmaceutical firm focused primarily on treatments for sleeping disorders and indications in neuroscience and hematology-oncology. Jazz’s product portfolio includes its lead drug, Xyrem, for narcolepsy, Sunosi for improving wakefulness in patients with excessive daytime sleepiness, Defitelio for severe veno-occlusive disease after stem cell transplant, Vyxeos for acute myeloid leukemia, and Zepzelca for small cell lung cancer.
|Day Range 150.57 – 155.73||52 Wk Range 126.14 – 169.98||Open / Close 155.1 / 150.9|
|Vol / Avg. 471.7K / 482.9K||Mkt Cap 9.5B||P/E –|
|Div / Yield –||Payout Ratio –||Total Float –|
Village Farms Intl ( XNAS: VFF )
As one of the largest and longest-operating greenhouse growers in North America, Village Farms International produces and distributes premium cannabis to national growers in the U.S. and Canada.
The cannabis stock has a market cap of $288 million and trades over 1 million shares per day. It has an EPS of $0.04 and a P/E ratio of 128. Village Farms International generated total revenue of $144 million in 2019, making it one of the best stocks under $10.
Village Farm International recently reported its revenue in Q1 2020 and declared that it has had a profitable business for the 5th consecutive quarter. The cannabis company has also announced that it has expanded its credit facility with its existing lender by $59 million.
|Day Range 2.5 – 2.58||52 Wk Range 2.5 – 7.22||Open / Close 2.53 / 2.5|
|Vol / Avg. 480.5K / 683.9K||Mkt Cap 221.4M||P/E –|
|Div / Yield –||Payout Ratio –||Total Float –|
GrowGeneration ( XNAS: GRWG )
GrowGeneration Corp. is a premier supplier of cannabis and cannabis-growing equipment. These products include organic nutrients, drip systems, water pumps, air pumps, LED lights and commercial light systems. It is the largest hydroponic supplier in the U.S., with 31 retail and distribution centers.
The cannabis stock has a market cap of $849 million and has an EPS of $0.02. It has an annual dividend yield of $0.02 per share. GrowGeneration has high liquidity and trades more than 1.7 million shares per day. It generated revenue of $79 million in 2019.
|Day Range 4.23 – 4.45||52 Wk Range 3.42 – 14.1||Open / Close 4.38 / 4.32|
|Vol / Avg. 799.7K / 1.5M||Mkt Cap 262.6M||P/E –|
|Div / Yield –||Payout Ratio –||Total Float –|
AbbVie ( XNYS: ABBV )
AbbVie is a pharmaceutical company with a strong exposure to immunology and oncology. The company’s top drug, Humira, represents close to half of the company’s current profits. The company was spun off from Abbott in early 2013. The recent acquisition of Allergan adds several new drugs in aesthetics and women’s health.
|Day Range 136.24 – 139.35||52 Wk Range 128.26 – 175.91||Open / Close 137.3 / 137.59|
|Vol / Avg. 4.8M / 5.5M||Mkt Cap 243.3B||P/E 19.46|
|Div / Yield 5.64/4.10%||Payout Ratio 76.66||Total Float –|
After the legalization of marijuana in the U.S., many companies are actively engaged in the research, development and distribution of cannabis. Cannabidiol (CBD) is the non-psychoactive substance present within cannabis and its products such as CBD oil has had a major impact on the health and wellness industry.
Take a look at these CBD oil stocks that are generating millions of dollars in revenue this year.
Overview: CBD Oil Stocks
Since ancient times, cannabis has been used as a form of medicine and as a means to induce euphoria. Indian sages have also mentioned the medicinal use of marijuana in Vedic hymns of antiquity.
However, President Richard Nixon banned the cultivation and sale of marijuana in the U.S. as part of his “war on drugs” campaign in 1970. It wasn’t until the Compassionate Use Act of 1996 was passed that California became the first state to legalize marijuana to treat people with severe or chronic diseases. As of 2022, 37 states in the U.S. have legalized the medical use of marijuana and 18 states have legalized the recreational use of marijuana.
According to a recent report by the New Frontier Data, the legal sale of cannabis could reach $30 billion by 2025. Due to such high potential to earn profits, alcohol companies have started to invest big in CBD oil companies.
Constellation Brands Inc. (NYSE: STZ) has invested billions in Canopy Growth Corp. (NYSE: CGC). Molson Coors (NYSE: TAP) invested billions in Hexo (TSX: HEXO). Budweiser (NYSE: BUD) entered a joint venture to develop non-alcoholic CBD drinks with Tilray Inc. (NASDAQ: TLRY).
You can still catch up with the market trend and gain some good earnings by investing in CBD oil stocks today.
Best Online Brokers for CBD Oil Stock
Online brokers let you browse and trade thousands of stocks listed on major stock exchanges. These platforms are bundled with tons of educational resources and tools to let you manage your stock portfolio on the go. Many of these online brokers also allow you to trade stocks commission-free.