How to Make a Marijuana Tincture
Extracting THC and Cannabinoids With Alcohol
- Ph.D., Biomedical Sciences, University of Tennessee at Knoxville
- B.A., Physics and Mathematics, Hastings College
- Facebook Facebook
- Twitter Twitter
Making a marijuana tincture is an easy way to extract THC and cannabinoids from Cannabis. A tincture is an alcohol-based solution, used to extract organics from herbs and other plants. Tinctures are useful because they isolate certain compounds better than soaking or boiling herbs in water, the alcohol acts as a natural preservative, and medicinal tinctures often take effect more quickly than other administration routes, like eating, drinking, or smoking.
Marijuana Tincture Materials
A typical ratio of plant matter to alcohol would be 1 gram to 1 fluid ounce (35 ml) of alcohol. Up to 6 grams of Cannabis can be used, depending on your resources and how concentrated you want the end product to be. Do not use any other type of alcohol besides ethyl alcohol or ethanol (e.g., isopropyl alcohol or methyl alcohol), as these chemicals are toxic.
- Cannabis sativa bud, fresh or dried
- High-proof ethanol
- Flavoring (optional)
- Small glass jar with lid
- Brown or blue glass dropper bottle
Everclear is a popular source of ethanol because it is so high in alcohol. 151 rum also works. Be sure to use food-quality ethanol, not denatured alcohol. Denatured alcohol contains contaminants that make it unsafe to drink. Lower concentrations of alcohol will not be as effective for the extraction or preservation.
Basic Steps To Prepare a Cannabis Tincture
- Place the marijuana in the bottle.
- Pour alcohol into the bottle, making certain to cover the plant matter.
- Seal the bottle. Place it in a warm location, out of direct sunlight.
- Give the alcohol mixture at least a day, but preferably longer than a week to soak. You can shake the bottle from time to time to ensure a good extraction of the THC and other cannabinoids.
- Filter the liquid through a coffee filter to remove the solids and reserve the liquid in a dark-colored glass dropper bottle. Avoid using plastic, as the liquid may leach some undesirable compounds from the plastic into the tincture over time. Flavoring may be added to improve the taste of the tincture, if desired.
- A typical dose would be 3-5 drops, depending on how strong you made the tincture. Start with the minimum amount and see what works best for you.
Fast Marijuana Tincture Recipe
While the classic tincture instructions are fine, you can prepare a tincture much more quickly if you’re willing to put in slightly more preparation time. Also, this method uses less source material (although the tincture is also less potent). This recipe produces an effective tincture in as little as an hour. The disadvantage of the method is that it uses heat, which can damage some of the many cannabinoids in Cannabis if you get carried away. Don’t exceed the recommended temperature.
- Dry about 4-5 grams of a Cannabis sativa bud.
- Grind the material to increase surface area (speeds extraction).
- Bake the marijuana is a 240 F over (set for just under 250 F) for 30 minutes. This decarboxylates the matter, improving the extraction of desirable compounds while helping to eliminate unwanted chemicals. Both heat and alcohol can convert the THCA molecules in the plant matter into active THC.
- Place the marijuana in 2 ounces of alcohol. Make sure it is covered and seal the container to prevent gas exchange with air.
- Place the container in a cool, dark location. The longer you allow for the alcohol to extract the cannabinoids, the more potent your tincture will be. You can watch the extraction progress as the color of the liquid changes from clear to green. Once the color is stable (up to 2 or 3 hours), filter the liquid using a coffee filter or cheesecloth. Of course, you can consider the tincture “done” sooner, but you may lose potency.
- Store the tincture in a dark glass dropper bottle. While the alcohol preserves a tincture at room temperature, it’s fine to refrigerate it to further reduce the chance of mold or fungal growth.
How to Use a Marijuana Tincture
The ideal way to use this tincture is to apply drops sublingually (under your tongue). Use a few drops and then wait to determine the effect. Cannabinoids are quickly absorbed across the mucosa of the mouth into the bloodstream for distribution to the brain and other parts of the body. If the desired effect is not achieved after the initial dose, a few more drops may be applied.
Learn how to prepare a marijuana tincture. All you need for this easy recipe is alcohol and a Cannabis sativa bud.
Cannabis Herbal Liniment :: For Fast, Effective Topical Pain Relief
Last Updated on March 26, 2019 by Andrea
linвЂўiвЂўment [ lГnnЙ™mЙ™nt ]
pain-relieving liquid rub: a liquid rubbed into the skin to relieve aches or pain, e.g. one containing alcohol and camphor
As defined above, a liniment is an external application that is rubbed into the skin primarily for the purposes of pain relief — and my Cannabis Herbal Liniment recipe was created with herbal alliesВ full of super potent anti-inflammatory + analgesic properties!
When combined into a liniment, these magical plant spirits can ::
- be massage into muscles, both before and after physical activity for immediate soothing relief
- stimulate circulation
- soothe and heal bruising
- relieve the pain of rheumatoid arthritis and gout
- alleviate tension headaches
- reduce the healing time for injuries
- strengthen, protect, and prepare the body for and during exertion
- repair overworked muscles, tendon injuries, and sprains
- act as an anti-inflammatory by reducing inflammation and relieving the associated pain and swelling
- provide really relief from fibromyalgia symptoms
- reduce the itching and inflammation caused by insect bites
- heal skin eruptions of any kind (i.e. acne, etc.)
- CBD-rich cannabis flowers + trim (sugar leaf)
- arnica flowers
- comfrey root
- helichrysum flowers
- St. JohnвЂ™s wort
- devilвЂ™s claw root
- ginger root
- cayenne pepper
- turmeric root
…are all well-known for theirВ anti-inflammatory,В analgesic,В sedative,В antispasmodic, andВ anti-microbialВ properties.
This magical healing liniment is must-have forВ anyone suffering from pain!
Click this link to find my recipe
for the Peaceful Warrior Cannabis Salve.
There you will find where I share my method for an oil infusion.
Cannabis Herbal Liniment
*Use organics whenever possible. I have linked to the products I personally use and recommend.
- herbal blend, enough to fill a quart-sized glass mason jar 2/3 fullВ (I use a combination of CBD-rich, indica-dominantВ cannabis flowers + trim, [you can purchase “legal in all 50 states”В CBD-rich hemp flowersВ here if you live in a state without medical marijuana laws], arnica flowers, comfrey root, helichrysum flowers, St. JohnвЂ™s wort, devilвЂ™s claw root, ginger root, cayenne pepper, and turmeric rootвЂ¦use whatever you have on hand. Please note :: The cannabis/CBD-rich hemp + arnica are the secret to this liniment! Use these two if you use nothing else.)
- isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), enough to cover
*Herbal liniments are made in exactly the same way as a tincture. Read more about herbal tincturing here…
- In a quart-sized glass mason jar combine all of the herbs you have chosen to use. Note: For the best medicine, use a grinder or similar object to grind all herbs to a fine consistency.
- Pour isopropyl alcohol over the plant material to fill the jar, leaving an inch of head space.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Place lid tightly on jar and let mixture stand in a warm location.
- Let jar stand for at least 4 weeks (6 weeks is awesome too), shake well every day.
- After 4-6 weeks of steeping, strain the liniment well using a piece of unbleached cheesecloth and re-bottle.В Note: Be sure to clearly label for EXTERNAL USE ONLY. And store in a cool, dark place.
Apply the liniment every few minutes for an hour or two in acute instances. Otherwise, use freely until desired results are achieved.
Tips for UseВ
-I like to re-bottle my liniment into these roll top glass bottles for ease of use.
-By applying the liniment to the temples, back of the neck, and to the forehead it can be used as an excellent remedy for a headache.
-Apply to painful and swollen joints to relieve the symptoms of arthritis.
-Useful as a treatment for athleteвЂ™s foot. Apply frequently and saturate the affected area thoroughly.
-It also seems to be extremely effective in the treatment of acne!
-Simply apply directly onto skin and massage into sore muscles for instant relief.
Note: Naturally the resultsВ will beВ different for everyone. This is by no means a cure-all. IвЂ™m just happy to share with you my experience with these plants and/or oils. Please use conventional wisdom and consult with your medical professional prior to using this or any other herbal remedy.В And as we know all too well the FDA doesnвЂ™t like any type of claimвЂ¦therefore, take it for what it is, and remember, this information isВ purely educational in its purpose.
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my knowledge-sharing/writing/blogging activities, I occasionally may receive monetary compensation for my endorsement, recommendation, testimonial and/or link to any products or services from this article. However, I only recommend products or services I have personally used myself and trust.
Frugally Sustainable is a resource for all things natural, frugal, and sustainable. If you like DIY and are bit “crunchy”, this site is for you!