Indoor Greenhouse Garden: Tips For Creating A Mini Indoor Greenhouse
Starting seeds indoors can be a challenge. Maintaining a warm environment with sufficient humidity isn’t always easy. That’s when a mini indoor greenhouse garden is called for. Sure, you can purchase one from a variety of sources, but a DIY mini greenhouse is so much more fun and a worthwhile project in the dead of winter. Read on to learn how to make a mini greenhouse indoors.
Mini Indoor Greenhouse Garden
A mini greenhouse indoors is great at creating and maintaining the perfect microclimate for starting seeds before spring. This greenhouse garden for indoors can also be used to cultivate houseplants, force bubs, propagate succulents, or grow salad greens or herbs – anytime.
There are lots of indoor greenhouse gardens for sale from elaborate Victorian era versions to simpler boxed sets. Or you can opt for a DIY project. Creating your own mini greenhouse can often be put together inexpensively to free from whatever items you have on hand.
How to Make a Mini Greenhouse
If you are handy or know someone who is, your indoor greenhouse can be made from wood and glass; but if you don’t think you are up to cutting, drilling, etc. these materials, we have some simple (literally anyone can do them) DIY mini greenhouse ideas here.
- For those who want to make an indoor greenhouse garden on the cheap, try repurposing. A mini indoor greenhouse can be created from cardboard egg containers, for example. Just fill each depression with soil or soilless mix, plant seeds, moisten and cover with plastic wrap. Voila, a super simple greenhouse.
- Other simple DIY ideas involve using yogurt cups, clear salad containers, clear containers such as those a precooked chicken comes in, or really any clear plastic food container that can be covered.
- Clear plastic sheeting or bags can also easily be turned into simple versions of indoor mini greenhouses. Use skewers or twigs for supports, cover with plastic, and then tuck the plastic in around the bottom of the structure to keep the heat and moisture in.
- Beyond repurposing stuff you already have, for just a little over $10 (courtesy of your local dollar store), you can create a simple DIY mini greenhouse. The dollar store is a fabulous place to get inexpensive project materials. This greenhouse project uses eight picture frames to create a slanted roof and walls. It can be painted white for continuity and all it takes to put it together is white duct tape and a hot glue gun.
- Along the same lines, but probably pricier unless you have them lying around, is to make your indoor greenhouse with storm or small casement windows.
Really, creating a mini DIY greenhouse can be as easy or complex and as expensive or cheap as you want to go. Or, of course, you can just go out and buy one, but where’s the fun in that?
Maintaining a warm environment with sufficient humidity isn’t always easy. Click here to learn ideas on how to make a mini indoor greenhouse garden.
15 Creative DIY Mini Indoor Greenhouses
Indoor greenhouses are useful when it comes to growing indoor houseplants, plant, or flowers in winter. They will provide your plants with the warmth they need to grow and thrive. Creating DIY mini indoor greenhouses is not difficult nor expensive. Below you will find some gorgeous DIY mini indoor greenhouses that will inspire you.
Storm Windows DIY Mini Indoor Greenhouses
You can build a tiny greenhouse out of 3 storm windows. Just make sure that all the storm windows are in the same size. This is an easy DIY project and you can do it in no time following these instructions.
2. CD Case Greenhouse
This is one of the most creative DIY Mini Indoor Greenhouses. Building it requires some DIY skills. This tiny greenhouse is made of cd Cases. To find more information about this interesting DIY project, check out this instructive article.
3. Hexagonal Greenhouse
This is one of the most beautiful DIY Mini Indoor Greenhouses. This greenhouse is built mainly for decoration. It looks fabulous and it is quite eye-catching. Go to Not Just a Housewife to learn more about this alluring DIY project.
4. DIY Countertop Greenhouse
If you want to grow herbs in fall or winter, you should definitely build this amazing tiny greenhouse. It will protect your plants from pests and diseases as well as keep them warm to grow and thrive. You can learn how to build this cute indoor greenhouse here.
5. DIY Mini Indoor Greenhouse
This is one of the most ornamental DIY Mini Indoor Greenhouses. This greenhouse will not only shelter your plants in winter but will also decorate your place. It looks very beautiful. It is perfect for growing succulent as they need protection from cold. The tutorial for this amazing DIY project is here.
6. Plastic Container Mini Greenhouse
This is one of the most cost-effective DIY Mini Indoor Greenhouses. Any plastic container can serve as a small greenhouse. It is perfect for starting seeds indoors in winter to accelerate the germination process. Find more details about this project here.
7. DIY Grow Light Shelves
This greenhouse is one of the most effective DIY Mini Indoor Greenhouses for starting seeds. With this greenhouse, you will be able to make any kind of seeds germinate even if the weather is freezing. To build this seed started you will need:
- Ikea shelving unit
- Grow lights
More details about this project are available here.
8. Photo Frames greenhouse
If you have a dollar store nearby, you should give a visit to look for some photo frames. They are perfect materials to build an inexpensive greenhouse. Besides, photo frames look good once they are attached together, they make a cute attractive greenhouse. More information about this project is available here.
9. Windowsill Greenhouse
If you are looking for an effective indoor greenhouse that does not cost any penny, this is the right one for you. All you need is a trellis and a plastic bag to make a cheap greenhouse. The tutorial for this project is available at the Instructables.
This greenhouse is recommended because although it is basically costless, it can:
- accelerate seeds’ germination
- increase temperature degrees for your plants
- preserve good humidity levels
10. Cute indoor greenhouse
This is one of the cutest DIY Mini Indoor Greenhouses. It serves as a greenhouse but it looks like a beautiful terrarium. This greenhouse will allow you to start seeds in winter while adorning your place beautifully. Go to The Country Living for details.
11. Indoor Greenhouse for Seedlings
If you are growing some delicate plants that can’t tolerate cold, this indoor greenhouse is ideal to shield them and to keep temperature degrees adequate for them. You can easily build this greenhouse following these details.
12. Light fixture greenhouse
This greenhouse makes it possible to start tropical plants’ seeds in cold climates. It will provide them with the warmth they need to germinate and develop roots. We found this indoor greenhouse idea here.
13. LED Greenhouse
A led greenhouse is ideal to start seeds. It is able to help any plant grow and thrive by providing it with the warm and the light it needs. Check out this post for more information about this LED greenhouse.
14. Egg Carton Greenhouse
This is the most inexpensive DIY mini indoor greenhouse. After consuming eggs, use their carton to start seeds. You will only need to cover it with a plastic bag and it will serve as a greenhouse. Since cardboard egg cartons are biodegradable they will accelerate the germination fo the seeds. Follow the below instructions:
- separate the carton
- poke hole at the bottom of the carton (these holes will serve as drainage holes)
- fill the carton with soil
- sow the seeds
15. Affordable Mini Greenhouse
This is an affordable mini greenhouse that you can place both indoors and outdoors. It is beautiful and decorative. Besides, it is wide enough to accommodate your plants comfortably.
These are the best DIY mini indoor greenhouses. These greenhouses are decorative, effective, and most of all they are all inexpensive. If you are planning on growing some plant indoors in fall or in winter, you should definitely build one of these greenhouses.
This post contains the best DIY mini indoor greenhouses. These greenhouses are decorative, effective, and most of all they are all inexpensive