Top 5 Cannabis Strains for Warmer Climates (2020 Update)
Choosing a strain to suit your climate is an important factor when growing cannabis outdoors, so here are some strains suited to the warmer areas of Europe.
As a versatile and hardy plant, cannabis can grow in a wide array of climates and environments. However, different strains are better suited to certain conditions. Not every cultivar performs well in warm climates closer to the equator, but there are varieties that actually thrive in areas where the growing season is hot and sunny. Learn more about our top 5 strains for the hot climate!
1. SOUR DIESEL
Cali breeders created Sour Diesel under the warm sun of the southern West Coast. Since then, she’s spread among the international cannabis community, leaving a trail of tasty terpenes. She stems from Original Diesel, Northern Light, Shiva, and Hawaiian. Her genetic profile of 70% sativa and 30% indica generates a cerebral effect. She produces densely packed flowers that hold a THC content of 19%, alongside medium levels of CBD. Sour Diesel doesn’t fall short when it comes to productivity, either. Indoor plants produce 475–525g/m², whereas their outdoor counterparts put out up to 600g per plant.
These strains will take full advantage of warmth and sunlight, really pushing themselves to the limit.
10 Best Autoflowering Strains For Hot Climates
When growing outdoors you have to work with what you have, there’s no way to control nature. In this article, we’ll help you choose an autoflower with a high resistance to heat and slightly dry climates.
1. Original Auto BubbleGum
The Original Bubble Gum is an old school classic, the ideal blend of Indica and Sativa, only taking 9 weeks to be harvested and with a THC level of 20%. She is perfect if you want a strain that will deliver in all climates, she can withstand long dry periods and has a strong resistance to harsher climates.
This autoflower will grow tall and range between 80-120cm (30-47in), producing one main cola and long side branches, her buds will be very large and dense encrusted in crystals, giving her a very sticky feel. With an extremely fruity, floral and sweet with a strawberry edge smell is an excellent choice for socializing, the effects are upbeat and joyful with a nice sense of clarity and creativity.
• She can go tall, be sure to have enough space or use LST techniques during the first 4 weeks.
• It is recommended for making hash as she will produce an abundance of smaller leaves covered in trichomes.
• This strain is well known for being heavy feeder, make sure to feed her accordingly as she usually grows without showing signs of deficiency.
2. Lemon AK Auto
This is our retake on an already classic strain with improved growth patterns, stronger effects, improved tastes and a THC level of 24%. Being mostly Sativa hybrid it can take up to 10 weeks to finish. Lemon AK Auto loves sun, if you can give her 20hs of light a day, go for it, it will deliver accordingly, she can stretch up to 100cm growing zestful and tightly packed flowers, these buds will be heavily coated in crystals. A new citrusy touch that comes in hand with the rich AK-47 taste delivers an uplifting euphoric high, great for conversing and creative activities (novices may want to watch out!).
• Has a large foliage production followed by heavy bud production, we recommend placing something to support, you don’t want her to fall under her own weight.
• LST works well but it’s better for more experienced growers with this strain.
3. Original Auto Amnesia Haze
A mostly Sativa strain recommended to growers living in hot climates, where she can really take off in height and produce huge yields, is usually ready to chop in 70 days and can have up to 22% THC. This strain grows vigorously and can easily hit up to 150cm (60in, one of the tallest autoflowers available) she will grow with large space between her internodes and her flowers will glisten with trichomes and throw out large-sized bright orange hairy pistils. A truly unique blend of orange citrus with floral overtones on the inhale, and turns to a deeper, citrus dominant flavor on the exhale. Original Auto Amnesia Haze delivers a soaring, cerebral roller coaster that stimulates all the senses, users will feel focused and highly motivated at first then changing to a relaxed high, perfect for reading, writing, gaming or just hanging out at home with friends.
• We recommend using LST techniques to get the most out of her.
• When flowering, add support to prevent hanging due to excessive production.
4. Original Auto Critical
We were able to enhance all desirable traits that make Critical so popular, a super reliable plant that grows incredibly well in hot climates highly resilient and very easy to grow. This plant can reach up to 140cm (55in), producing very dense, frosty buds at every branch and internode, making her a heavy yielder (450-600gr/m2 or 14-21oz). Original Auto Critical flowers will ooze with resin and her pistils will have a golden hue, her flavor can be described as a delicious blend of lemon, citrus and pine with a floral aftertaste. This girl will immediately relax you, a balanced high that will provoke creativity as well, a great choice for social nights out (Be warned that smoking too much can leave you in a dream state that can last for hours!).
• We recommend growing her any time of the year as she will withstand any climate and won’t require much maintenance.
• Training this strain in the early stages of growth will increase the number of flowering sites, promoting production even more.
• Due to her large size, training is especially important in cases where space is limited .
Tangie’matic is a predominantly Sativa strain that can grow up to 130cm (51in) with a high THC content (23%) that will get you flying through the clouds. Our take on this strain, successfully recapturing all the magic of this classic. Easy to grow and adaptable to almost all grow setups Tangie’matic lives up to he Sativa lineage, yielding up to 500 gr/m2 (1.1lb), she produces a tall main cola with impressive side branches to match, packing on thick buds with green and purple hues and bright orange pistils, these tight frosty buds can rival the heaviest Indicas. This strain packs a Tangie punch, sweet earthy notes followed by sharp orange flavors, give it a mouth-watering flavor profile delivering a fully functional Sativa high without any head rush, the perfect strain for daytime and getting stuff done any users claim Tangie’Matic helps maintain focus and is a great for recreational and laborious activities.
• Be sure to give a nice long cure to bring out all the delicious terps.
• A carbon filter is needed due to her strong smell.
• She’s a heavy eater, so be ready to feed her frequently and be sure to flush properly to optimize the flavor profile.
6. Rhino Ryder Auto
Rhino Ryder Auto is one of the best hybrids out there for hash making (highly recommend strain for making cannabis concentrates), It’s really easy to grow and delivers huge yields in only 9 weeks. Her name is a cue to how powerful she is and what can be expected, grows up to 100cm (39in) and has a THC level of 20% and 1.2% CBD.I’ts a good strain for growers with limited space, thanks to her Indica heritage, will grow bushy with short internodal spacing and fat fan leaves delivering golf ball-sized buds with an intense production of trichomes even on the fan leaves and surrounding plant material. The flavors are earthy, peppery, cinnamon with fruity pear overtones that transcend into a smooth floral edge. A very soft and enjoyable taste that will have you sprawled out on the couch licking your lips, wanting more and more. Thanks to her THC and CBD levels it has a medical effect and is best for relaxing the body, causing heavy fuzzy eyes, and the feeling of wanting to lie down and catch up on some needed sleep, very physical effect that can be difficult to shake off (so be warned!) She is recommended for medical patients and those with a very high tolerance to the strongest of Indica.
• She is a very tough hybrid that is ideal for anyone experiences challenging climates (either hot or cold) you can grow her without worrying about mold or mildew all year long.
• Once flowering begins, we advise feeding her a strong nutrient solution to help her on her way to massive yields.
7. Original Auto Sour Diesel
This west coast legend is an easy to grow and hardy strain, growers of all levels can appreciate it, can grow up to 120cm (47in) taking only up to 10 weeks to fully mature despite her Sativa influence. When flowering, Original Auto Sour Diesel will produce up to 450-550gr/m2 (0.9-1.1lb) of large-sized nugs, making her a large producing autoflowering strain. She reeks of the world-famous citrus, sandalwood, and pine terpene combination. This vintage Sativa dominant hybrid is an excellent choice for commercial growers, hash makers, and extractors, delivering up to 21% THC. Despite the similarities with the Kush family, her Sativa heritage speaks louder, she will keep you on a soaring, cerebral wave that will enhance creativity, energy levels, and motivation.
• Tying down her long side branches will allow the plants to focus her energy on producing huge colas.
• This strain performs incredibly well in hotter climate zones. She can also handle cold nights well so it can be a good choice for colder climates and will ripen with a dark purple color, making her even more special looking.
• This girl is a heavy feeder but avoid feeding too late during flower to improve the final taste, quality of ash and overall experience.
8. Blue Dream’matic
This Sativa-dominant (around 75% Sativa) will grow at a fast pace quickly producing massive buds in 9-10 weeks, tested at 22% THC, her leaves will be thin and long, and she can develop into a bushy plant in almost no time at all, branches will grow quite thin, typical of Sativa plants. When flowering starts she can grow up to 110cm (43in) and is a very productive autoflower, yielding up to 600 gr/m2 (13lb). Blue Dream’matic effects are powerful, upbeat and energetic, physical effects are light but together compliment the cerebral effects nicely. A wonderful flower to start the day with, enjoy socially with friends, long walks in nature, sunny days at the beach and enhance your inner creativity. She is a truly tasty strain that anyone would enjoy, with hints of ripe cherry, orange, citrus, and pine flavors with fruit tart mixed in will keep your taste buds guessing after every puff.
• She loves frequent watering and can take a heavy nutrient solution with no issues at all.
• We recommend LST in the first 4 weeks and pruning the lower parts of the plant before blooming begins, this will increase the amount of energy the plants used on its top buds, and ensure that there will be no unwanted popcorn buds forming.
• Remember to provide support for the large buds and prevent them from falling over with excess weight.
9. Original Auto Jack Herer
The Original Auto Jack Herer is a multiple award-winning strain in memory of its creator Jack Herer. Thanks to her heritage she performs very well in the cold and can achieve outstanding results in hot climates. Despite her short life span of around 9 weeks, she delivers THC levels up to 21% and can yield up to 500 gr/m2 (1.1lb). It’s a perfect representation of a well-balanced hybrid in all aspects, a medium-size strain that will grow between 70-90cm (27-35in) and will grow multiple side branches with short internodal spaces and beautiful buds covered in trichomes. At the flowering stage reeks of a unique combination of sweet, peppery, fruity and spicy, buds grow large, dense and coated with bright orange hairs. The effects after smoking the Original Auto Jack Herer are very pleasant and allow you to quickly relax after a long day of work while maintaining a focused and alert mindset, also a great strain for waking up with a clear head and getting through a long day stress-free.
• Big flavors and a unique terpene profile are things this autoflowering variety offers, be sure to flush properly.
• Get your trim buckets ready, she may take a little longer to trim than normal but will reward you with an abundance of sugar leaf.
10. Original Auto White Widow
The Original Auto White Widow is an old school legend, multiple world champion with an insane resin profile, one of the original strains from the 1980s. This strain will produce incredible results outdoors and can withstand hot and cold weather with ease. Grows between 70-110cm (27-43in) with up to 20% THC she will produce one main cola with side branches growing out and tall as she fills with silver coated, large-sized nugs in 9 weeks can yield up to 500 gr/m2 (1.1lb). She gets covered in trichomes from top to bottom, with a dark green hue and maroon brown pistils even can take on a pink and magenta hues as she gets close to her harvest date, revealing her true beauty even further. The effects are uplifting and clear-minded, she will keep all systems going, perfect for smoking when you’re busy, keeping sharp and alert. Her high is not too racy and will transcend into a relaxing state the more you smoke with a spicy, earthy and sweet flavor, delivering a particular taste that the old school generation will love.
• Highly recommended for beginner growers new to autoflowers, this is a sturdy reliable strain that can be left to grow with very little maintenance.
• She also performs incredibly well when grown in a Sea of Green.
These strains will perform extremely well in hot climates, you can’t go wrong with any of them indoors or outdoors!
When growing outdoors you have to work with what you have, there’s no way to control nature. In this article, we’ll help you choose an autoflower wi